Saturday 21 March 2009

Why Can't I Proof Read 'The Magic Eye'?

I had been anticipating this moment for days. The publisher advised that they had shipped my novel for a final proof read before authorizing print and publication. Every morning I woke up with the birds and waited for the post man to arrive. For six days I was disappointed and then on the seventh day it was in my letter box, the brand new, fully loaded, final proof of 'The Magic Eye'.
I’ve published books before and it was never like this. The Balanced Innovator was a business book but it had an element (or two) of controversy. From Salford to Tucson and Back Again was all about my life as a Manchester United fan, dirty laundry and all. So why is this one different? Why is ‘The Magic Eye scaring me so much? I shouldn’t be paranoid; after all I’m a fairly successful guy with a lovely family and wife.
I’ve travelled all over the world and been stuck in places I wish I had never visited. I’ve worked for 36 hours without a break on a proposal that was the make or break for the major corporation I worked for. I’ve met Princes and Sheikh’s, and CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies. I’ve spoken in front of thousands at conferences and summits. Surely all of these things are more likely to scare me than my first novel? A novel is a thing of joy. It is a work of art. It is something to be proud of. I am delighted with the way it ebbs and flows. I am delighted that it is suitable for people of all ages, although aimed primarily at children. I am delighted that it is finished as a final draft and that it has a real beginning, middle and end. I swear that the eye just winked at me again. So why am I so nervous? I just am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.